Thursday, August 29, 2013

August 25, 2013

Family,

It's so easy to get caught up in my own trials, in my own problems or challenges I'm facing here in the Philippines. But yesterday I had the realization that this mission isn't about me. To stop focusing on what I'm struggling with and instead focus on others, our investigators, our ward members. Everyone has their own trials, their own struggles in life and that's why I'm here- to help them, to give them hope and courage to face them with faith. And then I sit here and read about Grandma and I'm crying, but I'm reminded once again of the trials we each face. It's so hard to hear, but that's the beauty of the gospel- the comfort the knowledge of our plan here on earth gives us. I'm truly am so grateful for Grandpa and Grandma's example in my life. I always love telling stories about them, they seriously amaze me. What they do each day on the farm, what they do each day for our families, they truly are an amazing example of living a Christlike life. Please send them my love. What's kind of funny is that on Tuesday, I was waiting to be interviewed by President Lopez so I was talking to Sister Lopez. And she kept repeating how our families are being taken care of at home, to not worry about what might happen and to just realize how they'll be blessed and comforted even though I might not be with them. And I was sitting there, and in my head I was like, my family is fine, everything is going okay, so what's gonna happen now... And then I read the email. But this is not the end. We're sealed as a family for a reason, and we'll all be reunited once again. I love you all, and I love the gospel.

The rain hasn't been too bad this week, except when we were visiting a family in our ward. It downpoured for about two and a half hours. They had on the news and it showed the floods in Manila. Oh my gosh! The roads were seriously four foot deep in water! Hopefully it never gets that bad here... But to your question on how I stay dry.... usually I don't, but we try.

I'm glad you got to see some pictures on Facebook! All four of us were definitely surprised yesterday to see President and Sister Lopez drive into our church's parking lot... because none of us knew they were coming. But he is seriously the nicest guy, so funny, especially when he was giving us training last Tuesday.

We had another good week with our mission work. Finding investigators is slow, but we're hopeful that things will pick up. President Lopez keeps repeating about how we should harness the power of the members, because they know who are ready to receive the gospel and those efforts are so much more successful than tracting. But within our ward, we definitely have the less active side... I can only think of three families that are actually active members in the church. But this past week we found a sister, C (17), and she came to church and actually read the pamphlet before we even taught the lesson! She's so sweet and so cute, so we're really hopeful that she'll continue to progress. Also, this past week Sister Bendoy had no voice for a whole day. As in she couldn't say a single word... basically the most terrifying experience of my life. Thankfully two sisters from our ward came with us because I'm pretty sure I would have cried because I still can hardly understand them. When they talk about church/gospel related things, I can usually understand them or get the gist of what they're saying, but the whole conversational aspect of Ilonggo... I'm terrible at it. I still usually have no idea of what's happening but I know that the language will come eventually so I'm trying not to let it bother me.

It's weird to think that on Thursday, I'll have been in the Philippines for a whole month! It definitely doesn't feel that long, missions go by so fast. Especially when I think that Maddy is coming home next month... pretty sure she just left. It just comes to show that we really do need to take advantage of every minute while on the mission, because it will be over before we even know it.  

Every day is hard, but every day is so rewarding. I truly love this gospel and I love seeing others come closer to Christ. It's so spiritually gratifying, especially when you see those members you visited come to church, or they say they've read the Book of Mormon between our visits. It seriously makes me so happy because I know how much the gospel can help each of us in our lives. It makes sense why nobody ever wants to come home from their mission, or they miss it, because missionary work truly brings you so much joy and happiness. What's better than helping others come to the knowledge of our Heavenly Father and His plan for us.

I love you all and am praying for each of you. Please send my love to both Grandma and Grandpa too. 

Love always,
Sister Fitzgerald

 P.S. Christmas season has basically begun already. Yesterday we visited a less active sister in our ward, and her Christmas tree was already up! I'm so excited. Here's to four months of Christmas celebrations!



Sister Fitzgerald with her companion and Sister Lopez

Bacolod 2nd Ward

Sister Fitzgerald and Sister Bendoy (her companion)  at a missionary training meeting



No comments:

Post a Comment