Wednesday, August 14, 2013

August 11, 2013

Family,

I miss you all! But I also love the Philippines. Things are coming along a little more each day, but it's still definitely really hard. But I'm trying, and continuing on in faith. Thank you so much for prayers and support. It's so comforting knowing that I'm not in this alone, and that you're helping me even though you're not here with me.

It's definitely been really rainy/stormy the past week... welcome to typhoon season. Our lights even went out this morning during personal study, but they came on ten minutes later. 

Okay so to answer your questions:
1. I'm in the Bacolod Central Zone, in the Bacolod 2nd Ward. Dad, I don't know how you survived in the Philippines not knowing how to speak the language. I feel so lost all the time. There are families that know English, especially at church, but when proselyting in our area, no one knows it. The kids know a little because of school, but that doesn't really go anywhere. Our ward is pretty strong.  The youth are really strong in the church and are always willing to come work with us most days of the week. I think I told you this but we split the area with the ZL's in our ward, Elder Johnson and Elder Orlanda.
2. There's quite a few members in our ward... 150ish yesterday... I'm not very good at estimating so I could be way off. But they had to rebless the sacrament because there wasn't enough water for everyone so that's a good sign. The three less active families that we visited the past week came so that was exciting. Our investigator, A, came as well. His health isn't really good so we weren't sure if he would come, but we had his son who is a member rent a tricycle to bring them. He's really quiet and shy, so it's hard to figure out what he's thinking about our lessons, but I think he's definitely interested.
3. Most days, we wake-up and have studies from 8-12... then lunch, and are out proselyting from 1:30ish until 8. Being new to the area with no area book, the past week we've been visiting less actives and the few recent converts, and are trying to find investigators, talking to strangers, etc. Sister missionaries are supposed to be home by 8 for safety reasons, so then we just have dinner afterwards. Most places we walk or take the Jeepneys.
4. Basically I don't speak any English.... except to my companion, or to the few members who know it at church. But when meeting people, teaching investigators/members, etc. it's all Ilonggo which makes me a very quiet person most of the time. This week I'm gonna try harder to be more talkative/etc. What's hard about the language is that since it's not an official language, there's no set dictionary/study materials. We have a couple of different books, but they all have different word meanings, different definitions, different spellings, then half of the words are either Tagalog or are too deep of meaning for the people to understand...but it will come. Some days are worse than others, but I know it will happen.
5. We live with another companionship, Sister Acio (Philippino) and Sister VanSlooten (American). Sister Van Slooten is being trained too, but she's in the batch before me. My companion is really nice. She's been sick the past two days though, so hopefully she feels better. 
6. Adjusting to the food and weather hasn't been too bad yet. Sister Bendoy always makes us lunch and then leftovers are usually dinner, so that has been really nice considering I don't know how to cook. Also, the peanut butter here is delicious. SO good.

Thank you for your letters and support. The mission has definitely been hard, but I know it will be a little easier hopefully soon, when I can actually speak the language. Maddy reminded that people have done it before me, and more people will do it after me, so it is possible, and it's not the end of the world. I'm just trying to remain faithful and strong.

I love you all!

xoxo,
Sister Fitz

No comments:

Post a Comment