Tuesday, August 6, 2013

August 5, 2013


Family,

Well, I eventually arrived in the Philippines.... crazy past few days. On Thursday I met my new companion, Sister Bendoy. She's Philippino (you probably saw from pictures... and I probably looked like death...) but anyways, when I had my interview with President Lopez, he just laughed when he realized who my companion was, because she's so short and I'm one of the tallest new sisters. By the way, regarding President Lopez, he is such a snuggle bug. He is so funny, and just laughs all the time, he seems really nice.

But Sister Bendoy and I are both new to the area. They put us in a ward with the zone leaders so we split the area. It's been a little rough the past couple of days teaching, etc. just because we had nothing in the area book to go off of. But the ward mission committee has been really helpful. We've always had at least one or two sisters from the YW's come with us to show us the area and meet some of the members which is especially nice probably for Sister Bendoy considering I can't understand anything they say and there's someone else there to talk with them, share a message, etc.. But I'm trying.

We live in an apartment with two other sisters, and its surprisingly nice. , Good news though, there's a shower head, so I don't have to take a bucket shower for at least three more months (#tendermercy). However, later today it will be my first experience handwashing my clothes... I'll let you know how it goes. I haven't gotten sick yet! Granted it's only been four days, but considering I've had three meals at ward member's houses already, I would say that's pretty good. I'M SWEATY ALL THE TIME. It's kind of gross, and I'm sure I'm smelly and have an oily face all day long, but all is well. Especially, because they think every American is beautiful. Seriously, if you ever have self-esteem issues, come to the Philippines because they will just tell you over and over again how pretty you are. 

Yesterday was my first experience at church... Guess how long sacrament meeting went til... 11. Two hour long testimony meeting.  Granted we started fifteen minutes late, but still. Phlippinos loooove to talk. Which is a good, because they're very approachable and you can figure out how they're feeling, etc. I don't understand a single word. I just sit there and smile, but I knew the language would be hard, I just hope it will get better soon, because I feel useless right now. It's funny because my feelings toward the Ilonggo learning process can change within minutes. One minute, I'm like I can do this, I got this, and then two minutes later I'm like, What am I doing here?! Why did I want to come?! I'm trying to be optimistic.

I have to write President Lopez so if I have more time after, I'll try to write a little more. I love you all and despite the challenges I'm facing right now, I love this gospel and know that I've been called by God to share the message of the gospel.

Thanks for you emails and uplifting messages. I really do appreciate and they really do help.

xoxo,
Sister Fitz
Sister Fitzgerald' with President and Sister Lopez

 New Companion - Sister Bendoy

New Sister Missionaries

New Incoming Missionaries (19 Sisters and 10 Elders)




No comments:

Post a Comment