Sunday, December 7, 2014

November 30, 2014

Happy December and Merry Christmas!

Now that Thanksgiving has passed, I feel like I can officially begin to celebrate this Christmas season. Even though the Philipinos started celebrating three months ago, I guess I still have a little bit of American blood left in me considering I feel like I have to wait until Thanksgiving weekend to officially welcome in the Christmas season. It's bittersweet though knowing that I'll be home with you all when that Christmas day actually arrives.

Every week, Sister Oquias and I choose a topic to share when we visit members and even sometimes less actives. In celebration of this Christmas season, we've been sharing about Jesus Christ and his life. It's given me the opportunity to reflect on what I've learned of him and about him since I've begun my mission. I realized that the purpose of my mission was to not only serve God, but to become more like our Savior. And I've only done that from coming to know him. If you haven't watched this yet, (http://www.mormon.org/christmas?cid=HPFR112814529) do it. I'm so grateful for the gift that Heavenly Father gave us, the gift of Jesus Christ. And I'm so grateful that I've come to know him on a more personal level these past few months. His gift truly was a gift of love, peace, hope, and life for all of his children. The life of Jesus Christ is a legacy and symbolism of his love and I have come to feel and know of that great love here. Whenever we teach of his life or of the Atonement, the spirit is always so strong. He was willing to do so much, if not all, because of his love for each and everyone of us. I think one of the most prettiest scriptures of all time is 
John 3:16, "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." I hope that I'll not only embrace and cherish this gift this Christmas season, but will continue to discover his love and feel of it even after the mission.

This past week we had exchanges with Sister Rey and Sister Judd. I stayed in the area with Sister Rey, and it was fun to be reunited again for a day. It's weird to believe that it's been almost a year since we were companions in Binalbagan. Sister Oquias and I also celebrated Thanksgiving by cooking a traditional Philipino dessert called Maja Blanca (?) and then making a mango float. Yesterday, an outgoing missionary gave her farewell talk in our ward. She was crying because she was leaving her family yet she hasn't started her mission yet,  and I was crying mostly because I know my time as a missionary is coming to an end. It truly is so bittersweet. I've had so many mixed emotions but mostly I'm just overwhelmingly grateful that I chose to serve a mission. Every night I wear my name tag to bed and I know I will cry the day I have to take it off. But will also cry because that will be the day I see you all again. I miss you all, yet I already know I will miss the mission. I remember back in the MTC when Maddy shared this quote, but I feel like it adequately encompasses what I'm feeling. "That it will never come again is what makes life so sweet." -Emily Dickinson.


I love you all! 
xxx,
Sister Fitzgerald

No comments:

Post a Comment