Sunday, December 7, 2014

December 7, 2014

Maayong Aga!

I have a little over a week left and I don't really know what I'm feeling. I'm exhausted and tired and am so excited to see everyone and come back home, yet at the same time, I cry thinking about leaving the Philippines, and the mission, and the moment when I have to take off my nametag. I'm even tearing up now thinking about it as a I write this letter, and I still have over a week. I have a feeling the next weeks are going to be a little emotional. But overall, I'm just more than grateful for the experiences I've had here on the mission and for the experiences I've had growing up in our home that led me to deciding to serve a mission in the first place. Here on the mission, it's definitely been a roller coaster of emotions and experiences. Many tears have been shed, both of joy and of sadness. But I wouldn't exchange those experiences for anything. Last Monday we stayed over in Bacolod because we had MLC the following morning. We slept at the Bacolod 2nd ward sister's apartment, my first area. I went out and worked with Sister Foote and I was able to see one of my first converts, Tony. I just wanted to cry. He's still so strong, wanting to serve a mission, and now two of his coworkers have since joined the church. That's only one experience of so many where you are just filled with the love, and joy, and the Spirit. On the mission, I've experienced that rich satisfaction that comes to us only when we know we helped another along the pathway to eternal life. I have come to know my Savior and my Heavenly Father in a way and to a degree that might not have happened otherwise or that might have taken me much longer. I've not only seen the gospel bless the lives and change the hearts of others, but experienced that change of heart as well. The past weekend when we were under apartment lockdown during the typhoon, we had a Liahona reading marathon. But one quote that I loved which reminded me of the two of you was, "If we truly have a testimony of the gospel of Jesus Christ, it will manifest itself in our lives." One of the greatest things I'll take away from the mission is an even greater love and appreciation for both you and Dad. Thank you for your support, prayers, and constant love, not only from the past eighteen months, but from the past twenty plus years. 

But with that said, this week was definitely a little more exciting than others. Tuesday we had MLC at the mission home. Sister Oquias and I had to "edper" in front of everybody, which basically means role play, and pretend we were teaching an investigator. We do those types of things in almost all training meetings, but it was a little more nerve wracking knowing our audience is President Lopez and all other leaders from the mission.... but it all turned out okay haha. Then Wednesday, we had ward home evening at the church as a farewell to the sister leaving on her mission. Thursday we gave our training at our zone meeting and then Friday, after working in the morning, we were put on lockdown that night until Saturday. We were planning on just staying in our apartment for lockdown, but then president sent a text saying anyone who lives close to the ocean or in the mountains had to transfer to the city. Considering you can see the ocean from our apartment, only a two minute walk away, we hurried to pack some things and transferred to another sister's apartment for the weekend. Yet, the typhoon never even came to us. There was hardly a drizzle of rain this weekend. We spent Friday night and all day Saturday trying not to go crazy while being stuck inside. We all had cabin fever. But on Sunday morning the lockdown was over and we were able to go to church and work that afternoon. What's especially sad is that over 300 people from Pulupandan evacuated in our church building, yet come Sunday morning there was hardly any members at sacrament meeting.... It's hard because you see everybody preparing for the storm physically, but do they realize that we need to prepare spiritually for the future? But I guess that's when missionaries and members come into the picture, to help them realize and prepare. But overall, it was a good week. It's definitely bittersweet - the mission coming to a close, but I'm glad I still have a full week left of full-time proselytizing time.

I love you! See you in a little over a week!

xxx
Sister Fitzgerald

No comments:

Post a Comment