Monday, April 21, 2014

April 20, 2014

Happy Easter Family!

I've spent this week thinking about how it's Easter and the celebration of Christ and his resurrection. In the Philippines, it's called "Holy Week" and people go crazy. Some people don't leave their house for the whole week, others fast for three days, and the churches are packed! They celebrate it Wednesday through Friday, and all buildings/businesses are closed. You don't see anybody out on the streets, everything just feels deserted. It's kind of a weird feeling. But there is a church across the river from our apartment, and people were singing for three days, day and night. We didn't get any sleep! They were so loud, and it was nonstop. I don't know when they slept! It's interesting though because during the week, people are so spiritual, but then on Sunday, not anymore. But it did seem like we had more members at church on Sunday than normal. 

But being Easter, you can't help but just reflect on the Lord, our Savior. If there's one thing I've learned while being on my mission, it is the amazing redeeming and enabling power we receive from the Atonement of Jesus Christ. I don't think I will ever be able to fully comprehend what he truly experienced there in the Garden of Gethsemane, but when I think of all that he suffered, just for me, you can't but just be filled and overwhelmed with his love. Because of him, we are able to start again. We are able to be fully cleansed and free from all of our regrets, mistakes, and despairs. We don't have to be burdened down from our inadequacies or weaknesses, but can look to him for the power to grow and become better. He truly is the light and life of the world. He's the light that shines in the darkness of our lives and fills the pains and holes in our heart. I know that he lives and that's the knowledge that will carry me through the trials and whirlwinds in my life.

On Saturday, we also had the baptism of L and C! Two weeks ago, their other two siblings were baptized. (I'll send pictures) They are two of the sweetest boys I know. We weren't able to visit them until Friday this past week, so we weren't sure if their baptism would still be this past Saturday or not. But we finally were able to teach them on Friday, and they were just so excited and spiritually prepared! We had their baptism Saturday morning, and even though it was simple, the Spirit was there and confirmed to me the blessing of baptism, the opportunity to be reborn and cleansed. 

Other than that, our week was pretty ordinary. We've been struggling living in our apartment. The water is sooo rusty, the filter isn't even able to filter it so we have to buy drinking water. But we have to use the rusty water to shower, wash dishes, wash our clothes, etc. and it's having not so cool effects. It's turning our garments orange and dries out our scalp so we all now have dandruff(!), and it's turning our hands and feet orange! haha, It shouldn't have any effects on us health wise as long as we don't drink it... at least that's what the senior couples tell us... but we're trying to convince them to let us move. So hopefully, we'll be able to get it all figured out this week. I don't like to complain and I think I would be able to deal with it, but knowing that I'll most likely be here until December, I don't want to think what the long term effects  will be from using it for nine months straight... But don't worry. All is well.

I love you all! and have a happy Easter!
xoxo,
Sister Fitzgerald
 







 




No comments:

Post a Comment