Sunday, November 10, 2013

November 10, 2013

Pamilya!!

Maayong aga! This will forever be known as the week that Typhoon Yolanda hit the Philippines... and definitely far from a normal week here on the mission. It all started on Wednesday, when we were finishing zone meeting, and the ZL's said that there was one last annoucement from President Lopez and prefaced it by saying "Okay, so don't freak out while we read this text from president" so we knew then something bad must be happening. So they read the message that a typhoon was heading towards the Philippines and that we need to get enough food to last three days, and to be prepared to stuck inside starting Thursday night until Saturday. Within two hours, we got another update saying we should have plenty of food, buy candles as well, and that starting that night, we'll not be able to head outside. That afternoon as well, our bishopric called us asking us to go to all our member and less actives, to warn them of the storm and to tell them that they would be able to evacuate to the church at anytime if they feel unsafe and that there would be water and food there if needed. So all day wednesday, we just went house to house. We came home wednesday night, prepared to be stuck inside for a long time. We were inside all day thursday, but other than a little rain, not much happened. We would get updates every few hours, but not that much information, we didn't know when we should expect it, or how strong. We waited all day Thursday, but other than a little rain, nothing. Friday morning is when it got stronger and heavier... and we were told that it would hit around noon, but that during the night it turned a little bit and was heading towards China and we would only get the tail part of it. At 11, the power went out and the it was hard to hear each other because of how heavy the wind and rain was. We finished our studies by candlelight and had PB&J sandwiches for lunch. It was weird being inside for so long... we were all going a little stir crazy, we definitely had cabin fever. We would have studies in the morning as usual, and then just spent the afternoon talking, lounging, etc. Friday afternoon, we got a text saying that we would have a CSP Weekend, and to be prepared to head out the next morning helping fix the damage caused by the storm. But there really wasn't that much, there was debris all over, and several trees fell over, but no major damage to any of the houses in our area. But on Sunday, when we went to church, that's when we learned of how much damage happened to other parts in the Philippines, especially Tacloban, entire baranggays just completely demolished. It' s crazy to think if that had happened here in Bacolod. I don't even know where you would even start to help/clean-up/rebuild an entire city. (I don't know if that made any sense but I don't have time to go back through so sorry if it's all over the place)

So it was definitely one crazy week. But most of Bacolod is okay, not too much damage that we've have seen. Our power came back on Saturday morning, but we still have no running water... we're back to taking bucket showers from rain water, which really isn't that bad but it's hard because we have no water to wash dishes or wash clothes.... So hopefully, it will come back soon. 

It' weird because the two days stuck inside the house, I was reminded of life back at  home. No agenda, no appointments, just a whole day to spend however you want... and it made me realize how easy it is to return back to my life before the mission, to just waste entire days lounging around, which isn't necessarily bad to do some days. But missions are really just a time to reprioritize everything in your life. My mission has helped me see everything so clearly. Everyday during studies, I think to myself "What was I doing with my life before the mission?" "what was I doing with all that time?" I think that's one of the blessings from serving a mission. I've realized what's really important in life, there's so many things that I've already learned from the mission that I don't think I would have learned any other way, or at least wouldn't have learned for a long time.I'm so grateful to have the gospel in my life, to have had the courage and faith to serve a mission, and to be here in Bacolod. And I'm excited, knowing that I still have over a year to continue serving, to continue growing, and to continue sharing the gospel, so they can feel that comfort and love from Heavenly Father I feel every day.

I love you all! 
xoxo,
Sister Fitzgerald

No comments:

Post a Comment