Friday, July 5, 2013

July 4, 2013

Another week has come and gone! Thanks so much for the letters and packages. They really do make my day. I was especially surprised when I received a dear elder from Riley and Mattie. I even wrote that one down in my journal because I figured that might be my only one from them :)
It seems like so much has happened each week it' s hard to remember what I have and haven't told you... but I'll try.
So our district is really big. Fourteen of us and all of us except three are going to Bacolod. Plus there's another district of 12 that entered the same day that's going to Bacolod as well. So basically, a lot of us will be heading to the Philippines. Only two missions speak Hiligaynon, Bacolod and Illoillo and only about 8% ofPhilippinos speak it. Basically we were told we'll probably pick up Cebuano and maybe Tagalog while we're there. Recap of the week:
FRIDAY: We got a new teacher! Brother Speicer teaches us in the mornings, but then Sister Tamang teaches us in the afternoons. She was the investigator we taught our first week here, when she pretended to be "Cherry Mae". She just got home from her mission in Bacolod in May! It's weird because I probably saw pictures of her on Facebook. She's tall, and beautiful, and makes me want to become a teacher here. That afternoon, Sister Young and I went to go study outside but just as we sat down on the grass, she got bit by something. She thought it was just an ant or something so we didn't think much of it. By nighttime, it still hurt and was really swollen but we thought it would probably be better by morning.
SATURDAY: It had gotten bigger. So we went to the health clinic, but it's closed on weekends. Long story short, we left campus and went to Instacare in Provo. Although it was a little depressing driving through Provo but not really being in Provo, it was really fun to be off campus for a while. You don't really realize how much of a bubble we live in here at the MTC until you leave it. You realize it's not normail to see everyone in skirts and suits, and see everyone studying, reading the scripures, or eating. Have I told that basically what our days consists of? We wake up, study, eat, study, eat, study, eat, gym, study, and then sleep. That's literally how it goes, but I can' imagine it any other way. We didn't even realize it was Saturday until someone reminded us that we had church tomorrow morning.
SUNDAY: Sherri Dew spoke in Relief Society. Best day ever. It was amazing and so uplifiting. She's such a powerful speaker and I feel like she really connected with what we're experiencing here at the MTC. Later we had sacrament meeting with our branch. Our branch president always calls on two missionaries to speak for five minutes, with no notice. We finish the sacrament, and then he announces the rest of the program. Scariest thing ever. It feels like the reaping from the Hunger Games. That night we had another devotional by Robert Swenson who is involved with the church's missionary department i think, I didn't bring my notebook so I don't exactly remember, but he talked about things he learned while on his mission which was both really funny, but also really spiritual. Afterwards, they showed Legacy. I think I teared up at least four different times while watching it. Lately I've been so emotional. I think it's a mix of exhaustion/stress/overwhelmingness/happiness/etc. that I experience every day. Most of the time it's happy tears though :) One line that stood out to me was, "Give God the chance to fulfill His promise." I found that really comforting cause I think while being here, it's hard to see how I will ever actually learn this language and become an effective missionary. But we're promised time and time again that we will be successful, and that we can be an instrument in the Lord's hand, and that we can and will learn the language and be able to fulfill our purpose by helping others come unto Christ. It's always comforting to be reminded of thal.
MONDAY: We started teaching our new investigators. Brother Speicer is "JB" and Sister Tamang is now "Girlie" They pretend to be investigators that they actually taught while on their missions, and we each have about 20 minutes to teach a lesson. It's stressful but also nice to really learn how to follow and rely on the Spirit, and the importance of paying attention to their needs rather than just teaching lessons. We teach every day, so it always keeps us busy trying to learn the language so we actually know something to say. On Monday, the health clinic doctor wanted to check Sisters young's leg and we found out it was infected :( But, he put her on some pills so now it's almost all healed. It got to be as big as my hand, which was probably really annoying to her since it was on the back of her thigh, and we sit all day. What's fun is that in the waiting room, they have this big puzzle. So basically I relaxed and felt like I was back home working on a puzzle for twenty minutes during lunch while she was with the doctor.
TUESDAY/WEDNESDAY: Tuesday night we had a devotional where the speaker read part of his mission journal. Basically, his journal would be like "today was horrible and I can't speak the language, and there's no hope for me." And then the next day would be like, "I really feel like I"m progressing in the language, and everything is so good, and I'm loving life." Basically that was what Tuesday and Wednesday was. It's so easy to get so discouraged and frustrated, especially when you teach an investigator and it doens't go well, or you trying forming one sentence in Illongo and it jus epically fails. Everything was just a little depressing. But then you have days like yesterday, where I think it was the best day since be at the MTC. The thing is I can't even pinpoint why Tuesday was so horrible, and why Wednesday was so good. But I know those ups and downs will only become more intense later on in the mission.
THURSDAY: We have P-Day! Since the temple is closed all of July, we're not able to go. But that means basically our whole afternoon is free. Which means we are able to take a nap which is seriously probably the most exciting thing ever. What makes today even better is that usually we have class from 6-9 on p-days, but everything after dinner is cancelled for the 4th of July. Which means we have no class today! Instead we have a special devotional and then we get to watch the fireworks from Stadium of Fire!
Clarissa came in yesterday and I have yet to see her. I even peaked into some of the classrooms that I know are English speaking, and ate lunch outside hoping to see her. I'm sure I will eventually. I love you all so much!
Palangga ta ka! I'm out of time!
xoxo,
Sister Fitzgerald

No comments:

Post a Comment